I posted the following question on my facebook page:
Oh Sew Kat! patterns are designed with the beginning sewist in mind. What is one tip you would give to a young or new sewist who is just starting out in making doll clothes?
New to Sewing? Check out this list of great tips to get started.
Readers from all over posted their tips if you are new to sewing- whether it’s doll clothes or other sewing projects, these few things will help get you off to a great start!
- Jenny: Go slow and read the pattern directions. Read them twice before even beginning your project. Nothing has to be perfect. If you don’t like your creation, put it away for a day or two and then come back and look at it. You might be surprised that you now like it!!
- Anneke: I never expect a planned pattern to come out as it should. My advise would be go with the flow. Let the fabric tell you what it wants. Sounds hazy and dreamy (which I am NOT) but that’s the way it works for me. I have no technical advice all. But before I start I do sit down read the instructions. Toss them aside and have FUN
- Cindy: Press, press, press
- Deirdre: Don’t be afraid to rip out a seam and sew it again, the truth is even experienced sewers have to do this at times.
- Bee: Read through all of the pattern first before you get started.
- Julie: Iron as you sew.
- Barb: Take your time. Read the instructions completely before you start and follow each one in order.
- Jeanna: Always double check your seam allowances as you go. Nothing worse than making an adorable outfit only to have it be too small 😫
- Karen: My advice is (and I really should take my own😂) that perfection, although nice…it isn’t necessary. Enjoy the process of making something cute. It took me ripping apart a genuine cabbage patch outfit to make a pattern to realize this! It was terribly sewn from the factory.
- Nina: Learn your sewing machine inside and out. Practice the threading pattern so it’s easy enough to do in your sleep!
- Gail: Turn on the iron before you turn on the machine. Sew a seam press the seam. Sew a seam press the seam. Every time!
- Julie: Have fun with it!! Really, doll clothes take such a little bit of fabric, if you make a mistake, you haven’t wasted a lot of fabric. Just toss it and try again! That takes the pressure off to be “perfect” and makes it so enjoyable 🙂
- Paula: Use good quality fabric. It may be tempting to use lower quality fabric to try it out, but it is much harder to sew on.
You probably see a few themes emerging here … read all the directions before you start and to press every seam. But the themes of “you don’t have to be perfect” and “have fun” are obvious too! If you are just starting out learning to sew, doll clothes give you such a low cost way to jump in the pool and start to swim. Enjoy the process and know your skills will build with every stitch!
Best sewing tips for Beginners.
Join the conversation on Facebook!
Oh Sew Kat’s Beginner Sewing Tips List
What tips would you add to this list?
Sewing for dolls? Find an assortment of over 50 digital patterns to print on your home computer in my Etsy Shop and start sewing today!