When you purchase a PDF sewing pattern from Oh Sew Kat!, you get more than just the look you see on the pattern cover. With a few tweaks and changes, (called pattern hacks), and some different fabric combinations, you can Step Up! your basic pattern into almost any look you can think of! Today, enjoy these “twists” on the Sugar n Spice Dress pattern. These outfits can be made for any size doll! Find even more pattern hacks and tutorials on the Tutorials Page.
Use the Sugar n Spice sewing pattern to make six different dresses.
Make a classic dress in different styles.
- Create a classic holiday dress, similar to the one American Girl® made for the BeForever character, Molly McIntyre. I used a gorgeous green Kona cotton Sugar n Spice Dress, but the original dress was made of velvet and would be beautiful from that too! Add a little lace around the sleeves and neckline for a dainty touch. See more photos HERE.
- Every dress pattern can be made as a top, and every top pattern can be made as a dress! Use the Sugar n Spice bodice to make a cute peplum top! Find the tutorial HERE.
3. Every dress pattern can also be used to make a longer dress! Or a nightgown! For the holidays, make the Sugar n Spice Dress in white, and add some peppermint piping and pretty ruffles to make a nightgown that will have sugarplums dancing in her head all season long. Find the tutorial HERE. I also used THIS TUTORIAL to add the placket in the center front for the buttons.
4. And while you are thinking about making long dresses, why not try a fun Hawaiian print and make a MuuMuu style dress! These Sugar n Spice Dresses would be perfect for walking along the beach eating shaved ice! Use the overdress/pinafore pattern and THIS TUTORIAL.
5. Dress up the front bodice of the Sugar n Spice Dress with some tiny ruffles, trim, ric rac, piping, or lace. Use THIS TUTORIAL to add the placket, and tuck the trim in before you topstitch it in place. See more photos of these cute, bunny dress HERE.
6. The Sugar n Spice Dress was designed to layer a dress over a dress. But don’t stop there! Try the overdress/pinafore over a Peasant Top or a Party Time Peasant Dress as I did here for St. Patrick’s Day. I reversed the overdress, lowered the neckline, and sewed the skirt on with a large opening for the underdress to show through. See more photos and details HERE.
The Sugar n Spice Dress was designed to layer prints over prints over prints. Or to make solid dresses and change the aprons/pinafores for the season, like this Easter Dress and this one for Valentine’s Day. It was also designed to be a blank canvas to create any sort of character dress you can think of from Wonder Woman, to Princess Belle, to Cinderella and more! Visit the Inspiration Gallery to see even more ideas for the versatile Sugar n Spice Dress pattern.How will you make the Sugar n Spice Dress? Find the pattern for 16 inch Disney Animators’ dolls and 14.5 inch Wellie Wishers™ and Glitter Girls Dolls where Oh Sew Kat! patterns are sold.