The Easy Up! Jumper is quick to sew and makes a no closure jumper that pulls up over your doll’s feet. The technique is easy to follow, but sometimes you may prefer a dress that has a back closure for simple dressing. It’s simple to make the Easy Up! Jumper with a back closure instead. Start with the Easy Up! pattern for 18 inch or 14.5 inch Dolls. Find it in my Etsy Shop HERE.
Use this hack to make a summer beach jumper like Joss’s coral dress.
Easy Up! Jumper Pattern Hack for Dolls- Give it a back closure.
- Cut out 1 front and 1 front lining according to the pattern directions.
- Cut out your two back pieces, adding 1/2 inch to the edge marked FOLD on the pattern piece. Do not put it on a fold. (You can also print a second copy of your pattern, and add the 1/2 inch to your piece and cut it out that way.). Do the same for the back lining.
- You now have 1 front, 1 front lining, 2 backs, and 2 back linings.
- Because the jumper does not have to go on over the feet, you can opt to leave out the elastic straps if you like. I just folded mine and sewed them closed, using a 4 inch strap for 18 inch dolls and a 2.5 inch strap for the 14.5 inch dolls. (If making the elastic straps, follow the pattern).
- Follow the pattern instructions to add lining, pleat triangles, and straps.
- Kat’s Tip: Use a small safety pin to pin the back edges together while you attach the back straps. This will make it easier to ensure you get the jumper straps sewn in the right places, as it will now more closely look like the pattern instructions.
- Press up your hem but do not sew it.
- Serge or zig zag stitch your back edges, being sure to catch the lining. Fold in 1/2 inch and press (or turn under 1/4th, then 1/4th again). Add hook and loop tape.
- Stitch your hem.