Easy Headband Tutorial: Make a two colored knit headband for your 18 inch Doll
Kira Bailey™ is the 2021 Girl of the Year from American Girl®. This Michigan girl spends the summer in the Australian Outback, working at her aunt’s animal rescue. Her fashions are utilitarian and pretty! Make your Kira doll a two colored knit headband with this easy sewing tutorial.
Use a stretchy knit fabric for the best results. Tee shirts from the craft store are perfect for this project.
- Cut two rectangles of knit fabric, one of each color, 2 inches by 10 inches.
- With right sides together, use a 1/4th inch seam to sew the long side of each piece, to form tubes (Photo #1)
- Turn the tubes right side out, and give them a press with steam to reduce any stretch from sewing. (Use the FASTURNS to make this task super easy!!)
- Lay the tubes on the table, forming a cross. One tube will be below the other at the middle. (Photo #2)
- Fold the bottom tube in half, aligning the short ends, so the other tube is inside (Photo #3)
- Fold the other tube to align the short ends with the short ends of the first one. All four ends are now stacked on top of each other. (Photo #4)
- Stitch across the four layers using a 1/4th inch seam.
- Turn the headband right side out, so the stitching in on the inside, and pull the headband so one color is on one side, and the other side is the other color. (Photo #5)
This headband is a quick project! Finish it in an hour or less!
Make a knit headband for your Kira™ American Girl Doll
This headband is quick to make – you can make it in colors to match all of her outfits. It looks just like the headband that American Girl® sells with the Kira Bailey™ comfy jumpsuit outfit.
See more tutorials for 18 inch Doll Accessories by clicking the photos below.