Make an American Girl doll skirt with this easy sewing tutorial.
Make a Super, Simple Doll Skirt for 18 inch Dolls
Make a mini skirt Pattern Piece
- Supplies: measuring tape, ruler, copy or graph paper, 18 inch (or any size) doll, 12×12 inches of cotton fabric, sewing machine or needle and thread
- Take three measurements of your doll: waist, hips (widest part), and length from waist to where you want the finished skirt to end. I used 10.5, 11.5 and 4 inches for my 18 inch doll mini skirt. When you make your pattern piece, you will add 3/4 inch to both the hip and waist measurements for ease *use less for smaller dolls.
- From the top left corner of the paper, along the left side, mark three measurements. 3/8th inch (waistband casing), 4 inches (or finished length), 1/4th more (hem). Photo 1.
- Make a line at the lowest mark, across the page (at least 8 inches) Photo 1.
- Divide the waist and hip measurements in half (pattern piece will be on the fold.) (5.25 and 5.75 on my doll.)
- Across the top edge, mark out your half waist (plus 3/4 inch) and two inches below the top edge, mark the half hips (plus 3/4 inch) Photo 1.
- Draw a line from your hip mark, down to the hemline. Photo 2
- Connect your hip and waist marks, rounding a bit for the bum. Photo 3
- Mark the fold on the left and cut out your pattern piece. Photo 4
Mini Skirt Sewing Instructions
- Use some scrap fabric to cut out and stitch up your skirt. Make any adjustments to your pattern piece for ease or length.
- Clean finish (serge or zig zag stitch) the top and bottom. Press up hem and press down waistband casing. (Photo 1 and 2)
- Stitch waistband casing. Add 10 inches of 1/4th inch elastic and tack ends in place. Do not stitch hem. (Photo 2)
- With right sides together, stitch the back seam from top to bottom, being sure to catch the elastic edges in your seam. (Photo 3)
- Fold up hem and stitch in place. (Photo 4)
- If you prefer the skirt to open at the back instead of pulling it on over the doll’s feet, press in the back edges and attach hook and loop tape instead of sewing the back seam.
- If your skirt seems a little baggier than you’d like, simply turn it inside out, and stitch the back seam in little more. Once you get the look you like, adjust your pattern piece to have it for next time.
Easy to Make- 18 inch Doll Mini Skirt Sewing Tutorial
Joss’ pink top was made with the Popsicle Top pattern. You can find it HERE. Find more pattern tutorials and hacks on THIS PAGE.
2 thoughts on “18 Inch Doll Mini Skirt Tutorial from Oh Sew Kat!”
Comments are closed.