Make a Classic Jumper for your 18 inch American Girl Doll
I think every one of us wore a jumper of this style when we were little girls. It’s a classic look, whether it’s paired with a turtleneck, a peasant top, a button down shirt, or even layered over another dress. The Sugar n Spice Pattern by Oh Sew Kat! includes a short sleeve, basic doll dress, with a sleeveless pinafore (or overdress) included to create this layered look.
The Sugar n Spice and Everything Nice pattern comes in three sizes: 18 inch dolls, 16 inch animators, and 14.5 inch Welliewishers. It includes the short sleeve dress, sleeveless pinafore, overskirt, tutu, corset, apron, and simple cape. So many options to mix and match, see what all you can make with this one pattern right HERE.
Grab the PDF pattern HERE.
Inspired by my new, 30th anniversary Kirsten Larson doll, I wanted to make a few, simple additions to her wardrobe. (I did buy a few of her clothing items in the past, because I love the era and the look, but never actually purchased the doll until now.). I realized the pinafore from my Sugar n Spice PDF Pattern could be perfect- it just needed a little more length and some of her characteristic growth pleats along the hem. Once I stitched up a few, I put them on my modern dolls too. I hope you have as much fun as I did dressing your dolls in this classic jumper look.
Make the Sugar n Spice Pinafore into a Longer, Classic Jumper for Dolls
- Use the pinafore cutting lines for the bodice. (Lower neckline)
- Cut the skirt at 33 inches by 8.5 inches for a modern jumper and 9 or 9.5 inches for a more historical length.
- Hem the skirt with a 1/4th inch hem.
- Option 1: Two smaller growth pleats. With wrong sides together, press the hem up at 2.25 inches and at 1.75 inches. It might be easiest to do them one at at time. Stitch 1/4th from each of the pressed edges (you are stitching on the right (pretty) side of the fabric). Press the pleats down towards the hem from the right side. I use a lot of steam to press my pleats down.
- Option 2: One large growth pleat. With wrong sides together, press hem up 2 inches. From the right side, stitch along pressed edge 1/2 inch away from the edge. (Use a piece of washi tape to mark the seam allowance on your machine.) Press the pleat towards the hem.
- Finish as directed by the pattern. Layer your jumper over a Jumping Jack Turtleneck shirt, or a Playtime Peasant Top for a modern but classic fall look for your doll, or use it over a long sleeved dress for Kirsten.
The number and size of the pleats can be any length- play around to get just the look you like. For a modern fall jumper, I used a finished skirt length of 7 inches. For the historical dress length for Kirsten, try a finished length of 8 inches. You can see some of Kirsten’s historical dresses with growth pleats HERE and HERE.
Find more ideas and pattern hacks for the Sugar n Spice Dress pattern HERE.
Use the Sugar n Spice PDF Pattern to Make a Pinafore for Kirsten
Note: This photo shows Kirsten wearing her School Dress, which was purchased at and made by American Girl®, under her Oh Sew Kat! Pinafore.
Try it with classic red corduroy. Perfect for the holidays!!