Add a zipper to the Oh Sew Kat! Sunshine Dress Pattern
- Choose your option for the front of the dress (three variations are included) and cut out all of your pattern pieces as directed. I used a six inch zipper. You can use a longer one, but be careful of going too short and not being able to get the dress on the doll.
- Follow the pattern to put the front together, attach the shoulders, and add the lining. If you are adding sleeves, add them as well. My photos are for a sleeveless version of the dress, like in THIS TUTORIAL. Do not stitch the side seams.
- Clean finish the back edges with a serger or zigzag stitch, catching the lining pieces.
- With right sides together, baste the back edges together with a long stitch length and a half inch seam allowance. Two inches or so before the hem, where the zipper will end, switch to your regular stitch length. Press the seam open.
- With the zipper pull pulled away from the top edge, lay your zipper face down along the pressed open seam. Use pieces of scotch tape to hold it in place. (It’s hard to see the clear tape in the photo, but I used three pieces across the zipper. (Photo 3-white arrow)
- Using your zipper foot, stitch down one side, across the bottom and up the other side, keeping as close to the zipper teeth as you can. Move the zipper pull up and down out of the way as you sew if you can. Remove the tape. (Photo 3)
- Remove your basting stitches by pulling the seam slightly open. Stop when you get to the end of the zipper. Using your regular stitch length, restitch from the bottom of the zipper to the hemline on your basted seamline if you need to. (Photo 4)
- With the right sides together, stitch up the side seams, from hem, through the armhole seam to the hemline of the lining piece or sleeve.
- Clean finish the hem, press it up and stitch in place.
- Ta da!! Zip it up!! See how easy it is to get the Sunshine Dress on and off your 18 inch doll.
Front and Back views are shown below.
Making 18 inch Doll Clothes- Adding a Zipper
Easy Tutorial to Add a Zipper to a Doll Dress
Find the Sunshine Dress and other 18 inch PDF sewing patterns HERE.