As Thanksgiving approaches here in the USA, our thoughts turn to our turkey dinner. Yum! Here are a few quick ideas to make a pilgrim outfit for your 18 inch doll like American Girl®.
Simple Pilgrim Outfits For Dolls
The easiest way to make a pilgrim outfit for your doll is to pull together some simple separates. You might already have them on hand! All you really need are a black or white peasant top, black skirt, black corset, and white apron. See below for some easy to make accessories to complete the look.
Pilgrim Dress and Hat / Bonnet for 18 inch Dolls
Black Dress: (These options also give you a head start on next year’s witch costume for Halloween. You can also use brown or gray instead of black fabric.)
- Sugar n Spice Dress with Long Skirt and Long Sleeves (Click HERE for sleeve tutorial; cut skirt length at 9 1/2 inches for 18 inch dolls.)
- Everything Nice Skirt with a black Playtime Peasant Top. (Skirt tutorial is HERE.)
- Any other black skirt and top you like. (See THIS POST to make an a-line long skirt.)
- Make the free FOUR SEASON SKIRT in a long version.
- The Everything Nice pattern includes a simple, reversible corset. Make it with or without ribbons, or use yarn for a more rustic look.
- The Sugan n Spice Pattern includes a tutorial for an easy apron.
- Use the Everything Nice overskirt pattern in white for a wrap around style apron.
- Use white fabric to make Kirsten’s Meet Apron (Tutorial is HERE.)
- You can easily make detached cuffs with white paper, felt, or even ribbon. Cut to five inches long and attach around her wrists. I used ribbon and a stapler.
- If you are making a dress or top, simply add white cuffs in your sleeve design.
- Use the Everything Nice cape pattern, without the hood and make it shorter from white fleece or felt.
- Try this ridiculously easy Oh Sew Kat! collar tutorial HERE.
- Use your kindergarten skills to make a doll’s pilgrim cap from white paper or felt. You can sew it or use a glue gun. (Find the doll sized tutorial HERE.)
- If you have a Felicity or Elizabeth American Girl Doll– use her meet bonnet.
As we gather around the table this Thanksgiving, I am so grateful for my wonderful customers. Thank you for supporting my business.