Here is a quick and easy sewing project (which doesn’t even have very much sewing!) to dress up any doll for the holidays~~
Use this tutorial to make an easy holiday apron for your doll.
Make this easy apron, with fabric or felt. Use the Oh Sew Kat! Boardwalk Boutique PDF Sewing pattern for this quick and easy pattern hack.
You only need the FRONT pattern piece. This pattern hack is super easy if you just use felt, but you can certainly use other fabric and fun materials like fringe, cotton balls, jingle bells, htv, vinyl, embroidery, scraps, felt etc. I used felt for my samples because I wanted a “no fuss” project, which is also very inexpensive and available at every craft store.
- You only need to print the front pattern piece. On your paper pattern piece, measure over 1/2 inch from the center fold and draw a new fold line. Cut off the extra 1/2 inch and use this as your new center fold line. Cut off all of the seam allowances, top, sides, and bottom. (Especially if using felt, which does not fray.) . Draw a line across the top from where the front meets the strap, to your new fold line. This “fills” in to make a top that goes straight across. If you like the look of the squared off front, just realize you will have to trim those edges in step 5.
- For the length, measure up 1/4th to 1/2 inch up from the “Cut here for ruffle” dashed line and draw a new line. Use this as your new hem line.
- Cut out the front pattern piece on the fold of your fabric. Do not cut into the square neckline, leave that filled in so it’s straight across the top.
- Using a heat and bond product, or a careful edge stitch, add a 1/2 inch wide, black ribbon across the middle to form the belt. Trim even with the apron sides. Add lace or a white band across the bottom, turning in each side’s raw edge by 1/4th inch. If you want to add a Santa beard, or a pointed elf collar, cut them from felt, and bond or sew them to your apron.
- Enclose the top, raw edge in a 5 inch piece of bias tape and stitch. Do the same for each straight side edge, turning the raw end of the bias tape under at the hemline. Trim to be even with the edge of the apron. (You could also use ribbon or even fold over elastic.)
- Cut 2 straps (also of bias tape) 30 inches long. Mark the center of each strap and place it at the middle of the armhole. Place your apron in between the bias tape and pin in place, working your way out to the edges, attach the bias tape and when you sew, continue the seam from one end to the other so the strap is sewn together and the apron is sandwiched in between.
- Try it on your doll and trim the straps to the length you prefer with a diagonal cut. If you used bias tape, you will not need to turn in the raw edges.
- Using ribbon, a buckle, or glitter heat transfer vinyl, cut a one inch belt buckle and attach it to the apron. Add buttons, bells, pom poms etc (glue or sew on) if desired.
- SNAP or Hook and Loop Tape VARIATION IDEA: Cut your ties to 18 inches each. After you finish the apron, try it on your doll and add velcro or snaps at the neck and waist, trimming off the long ties for a more fitted, easier to put on apron.
Make a holiday apron for your 18 inch doll.
It’s the perfect way for your doll to keep her special holiday dress clean!